Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The great minds I want to devour

There are a few people whose thinking and writings about the digital world are so brilliant, so zeitgeist, so RIGHT, I just want to shove a straw up their nose and suck their brains out.

Because I will need help holding them down and getting the straw up there, here are links to their websites where you can download slides, watch video lectures, read full articles, and grok their amazing insights.

This is the stuff that is relevant to anyone who wants to make stuff that makes people happy.

Nicole Lazzaro -- she measures the emotional intensity of game and social media experiences. she is genius. Learn.

Clay Shirky -- yes, I know you have probably already read the transcript of his double-plus brilliant Social Surplus talk. Just in case you haven't, this talk explains the next 10 years. Learn.

Nick Yee -- yes, you know he is the God of data-rich MMO research. did you know he produces new research all the time, and that he has lots of new and recent papers on his website that you probably haven't read yet? Learn.

BJ Fogg - like me, he's got world peace as a career objective, only he's using mobile technologies to do it instead of online games. he will teach you how to persuade people to do things (ideally, better things) through interactive design. Learn.

Coming soon: Stay tuned for the post featuring the designers and artists whose chests I want to drill holes in so I can siphon their souls out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

+1 on Clay Shirky. I saw him speak at Web 2.0 Expo, and have read his essays, et al, for years. That dude is the sharpest tack on the cork board.

MsMaverick said...

Hi Jane

Just love following you around the world. Re Clay Shirky, totally agree- totally devourable brain. Want him to help me engage the cognitive surplus of leaders and employees at next year's AMP Innovation & Thought Leadership Festival. (I am calling it AMPLIFY).

I told him you came last year and had a lot of fun. If he asks, could you commend it to him please?

Thanks heaps, Annalie Killian